ADHD stands for Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Whoever is be suffering it, may it be a child, teen or an adolescent. The person copes with daily frustrations, it is very tough for them. Due to the disorganization, outbursts, temper tantrums or other misbehavior of the child or teen, the lifes of the family members also gets effected adversely. While handling their child in these situation, they often get confused and helpless because these kids don’t act purposely. Fortunately, there are options available to get alleviated from the problem as there are methods available. And these methods act as a tool to enable the families to handle the problem in a better manner.
These interventions include:
• Or a combination of these two approaches
Impulsive behaviour can be regulated and supressed by medicines such as methylphenidate hydrochloride (Ritalin) and other stimulants if used properly. Through this social interactions can be improved and help is given to the people so that they perform better in school and at work. Children already suffering from disorder can control destructive behaviour through medication. And if the process is carried under proper supervision, then it is safe and free from various side effects. In long term, height and weight should be monitored. It is not considered addictive in children. However, monitoring it in teens and adults is neccessory as sometime it may be misused. This procedure can be very effective if used appropriately in the correct dosage. If commonly used stimulant is taken, 90% of the children do better and get benifited. Symptoms may improve better and faster if the combination of procedures are used. To determine the best route that is to be taken, researchers are evaluating the effect of processes along with the combination of other procedures. Individuals should see the doctors to get the check up done and type and timing of the ADHD symptoms should be reviewed. Before filling the first prescription, benifits and potential risks should be discussed briefly.
Most commonly used stimulants are:
• methylphenidate hydrochloride (Ritalin, Ritalin SR, and Ritalin LA)
• dextroamphetamine sulfate (Dexedrine or Dextrostat)
• a dextroamphetamine/amphetamine formulation (Adderall)
• methylphenidate (Concerta, Daytrana)
• atomoxetine (Strattera, marketed as a “non-stimulant,” although its mechanism of action and potential side effects are essentially equivalent to the “psychostimulant” medications)
Sometimes physician opt the following when above medication are not effective:
• to decrease hyperactivity, aggression and conduct problems, buproprion hydrochloride which is an antidepressant is used.
• antidepressants called imipramine (Tofranil) or nortriptyline (Pamelor) is used to improve hyperactivity and inattentiveness which is very useful in children.
• to treat high blood pressure, clonidine also can help manage ADHD and treat conduct disorder, sleep disturbances or a tic disorder, clonidine hydrochloride (Catapress) is used. Hyperactivity, impulsivity and distractibility can be reduced by this.
• By using guanfacine (Tenex, Inuniv) , fidgeting and restlessness can be decreased and increases attention and a child’s ability to tolerate frustrations.
Duration of ADHD Treatment
Hyperactivity disorder is a chronic condition that may last for some years or even for lifetime. Over the time, risk and benifit of medication can change. Regular re-evaluation of medication use should be done by the physician and the family. This is intended to be for a longer duration of time and parents should know about it. Individuals lifestyle should be considered when practitioners make the treatment choices. These medicines can benifit alot but can also have side effects. Newer reports show other antidepressants such as venlafaxine (Effexor) may be beneficial in adults as well. Psychotherapy According to the researches done, it shows that only medication is not always sufficient. Psychosocial interventions parent training and behavioral modifications have been used over a decade or two for rhe children having ADHD. To handle problems in a better manner when they arise, the parents and educators should be tought different methods. They learn to reward their children for positive behavior and discourage them for negative behavior. Inattention and impulsive behaviors of the child can also be controlled by this therapy. With severe oppositional problems, behavior modification is also effective for children. Severity of oppositional behaviors may be lowered by such an approach. Through emotional counseling or psychotherapy, some people with ADHD can benefit. Patients are tought to cope with their emotions efficiently. In mastering valuable skills or new behaviors, Group therapy and parenting education can be very helpful. They are told about the problems what their children with ADHD have and give them the ways to handle it.
Treatments to Avoid
These therapies that have not been scientifically proven and is very helpful in the treatment of ADHD:
• herbal products
• restrictive or supplemental diets (e.g., removing sugar from their diet)
• allergy treatments
• chiropractic adjustment
• perceptual motor training
• medications for inner ear problems
• yeast infection treatments
• pet therapy
• eye training
• colored glasses